Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Lainzer Tiergarten (Wild-freakin-boars)

We went hinking in the Lainzer Tiergarten. 20,000 acre wood right outside the city on our side of town. Beautiful and peaceful sylvan setting. Excellent escape from the bustle of the city. Hiking up the Lainzer Tor we were rewarded with a really nice view of Vienna.


The most exciting aspect of the experience was the wild boars. I had never seen a boar before and was really hoping to come across one and we did! He was just rooting around in the earth when we spotted him.


This beast was large and intimidating. Nevertheless, I wanted to get a good photo and tried to creep up on him. Everything was going OK until I spooked it and it charged at me!


Freaking scary. Thankfully, I was not gored. Did the trick though, I will never attempt to approach a wild boar again. After charging at me he kinda stared me down and then just trotted off into the woods.


Later in our hike we came across another boar, this time right on the trail. This one charged at both Maddy and I.


My conclusion: Wild boars are mean!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun adventure Andy - Glad you didn't get gored by a bore!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you are both okay! This is a really great story for your kids! LOL

    ReplyDelete